Community Engagement Idea: Spotlight Bounties

(Khionu Sybiern) #1

The idea is relatively simple: on a rotating basis (maybe 3 or 6 months) we’ll announce a theme for the current bounty. The theme would be created to have our users make a product that makes use of certain Amethyst features in ways that Amethyst hasn’t been field-tested with. For example “a game with numerous 3D models that are updated by or because of network-based events”. We would then judge the submissions and feature the winner(s) on a dedicated page.

The objectives I would hope for this concept to achieve:

• Gain usage feedback and data as to improve our APIs, especially in regards to how modules are used together
  • Build a confidence in our user base in that we care about how they enjoy our product
  • Keep an ever-growing portfolio of projects made with our product

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #2

What’s a bounty? A monetary reward?

I do like the idea of organizing some contests. I’ve orchestrated this type of event many times before. My current thinking is that it’s more fair in many respects to organize contests that are open to any game engine in Rust, because their gain is usually also ours. If we’re footing the bill then it’s understandable that we’ll have a bias (an open bias) for technology we’re particularly interested in field testing. On the flip side it’s also in our best interest to come up with technological challenges that most of the engines/frameworks in the ecosystem can also compete in, because that’ll light a gentle fire under our collective behinds.

(Example structure: Amethyst .org chooses the theme, but the large voting panel tries to be representative of the state of the ecosystem.)

All that said, the easiest way to prototype this with minimal effort would be to come up with some highly encouraged technical field tests in the next Ludum Dare in 4 months. We got 4 months to come up with tech features that we highly desire good prototypes for, e.g, “interesting application of nphysics.”

(Khionu Sybiern) #3

Sorry, didn’t make that clear. I was thinking the spotlight would be the prize in itself. I was thinking “bounty” like “bug bounties”, which are less about prizes and more about what is contributed in the pursuit.

I’m not against the idea of having prizes, I just would want the focus being on the cooperation of the community and org, with a fun and productive medium.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #4

I agree that’s the best place to start. What do you think about my suggestion to tie something together with Ludum Dare? Would you prefer to come up with a format from scratch and run it exclusively for Amethyst developers?

(Khionu Sybiern) #5

If we open it up for other engines, it makes it less useful for us for feedback purposes. Regarding Ludum Dare… well, I honestly am not that familiar with it, I’ve never gotten that involved in programming competitions or events. Tying it into LD would be good for publicity, I would assume, but it would involve compromises in the technical bits we can gain from it. In house might be more productive, in the long run.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #6

You could be right. You’re welcome to start sketching out a format for a contest if you wanna pursue this. :+1: