DRAFT: Amethyst 0.11.0 release

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #1

Lots of stuff has been happening, let’s blog about it. This is a wiki post, so please feel free to edit in whatever you deem appropriate. After 48hrs we’ll publish this as a blog post.

Edit: We’re making this an actual release post now.

Amethyst 0.10.0 has been released!

WIP

In other news

Contributors for this release

• Andrew Jakubowicz
  • Azriel Hoh
  • Benoît C
  • David LeGare
  • Dzmitry Malyshau
  • Erlend Sogge Heggen
  • Eyal Kalderon
  • Fletcher Haynes
  • Frizi
  • Giorgi Beriashvili
  • Greg Morenz
  • Havvy (Ryan Scheel)
  • Hilmar Wiegand
  • Jacob Kiesel
  • Jamee Kim
  • Johannes Boczek
  • John-John Tedro
  • Joël Lupien
  • Joël Lupien (Jojolepro)
  • Kel
  • KernelFreeze
  • Laurent Van Acker
  • Lonnie Souder
  • Lucio Franco
  • Michael Palmos
  • MorituriTeSalutant
  • Nolan Darilek
  • Oliver
  • Richard Dodd (dodj)
  • Richard McCormack
  • Robert Wallis
  • Ryan Scheel
  • Sascha Grunert
  • Sebastian Waisbrot
  • Sergey Veselkov
  • SkylineP1g3on
  • Tammo Ippen
  • Thomas Churchman
  • Thomas Schaller
  • Théo Degioanni
  • Timon Post
  • Valkum
  • jojolepro
  • kel
  • udoprog
  • verzuz
  • yukicode

(Fletcher) #2

Do we want to mention the WASM editor PoC?

(Azriel Hoh) #3

Not sure if this fits the blog post, but there’s 3 guides written for prefab data (and a fourth one pending a merge) which hasn’t gotten much visibility.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #4

Absolutely, put them in there!

Definitely. I’d rather not link to the rogue GitLab repo though. Is this repo up to date? https://github.com/amethyst/editor

(doomy) #5

If we get the new site up we can mention that too, though I guess it’d be somewhat self explanatory haha

(Fletcher) #6

No, but give me a few and I’ll update it.

(Fletcher) #7

It is now up to date. And people can go to https://editor.app.dev.amethyst-engine.org to see the most recently deployed version!

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #8

New plan! The new title is now “Amethyst 0.11.0 release”.

@torkleyy is gonna push out a release, so we’ll be converting this topic into a release post, including the “in other news” content we already collected. Thomas will edit in the changelog and contributors list later today.

(Thomas Schaller) #9

TODO:

Copied from Jojo’s post + edited by me.

1. Pick a release candidate.
  2. Test this release candidate on all three major platforms using the pong, ui and renderable example.
    Look for rendering issues and other things.
  3. Check all of the documentation, is there anything that just plain isn’t documented?
    Beware of people writing /// with nothing in the actual doc comment.
    This sometimes happens to bypass the doc warning.
  4. Check the book, does it all make sense and is up to date?
  5. Review and update the changelog. I guarantee there’s going to be at least a few missing entries.
    Use the following search query on git to see all merged pull requests: is:pr is:merged merged:>YYYY-MM-DD
  6. Check all the version numbers in the software. Are breaking crate updates marked accordingly? Are all the winit version numbers the same?
  7. Ok, we’re happy with the software now and are confident in our release candidate.
  8. Bump the versions of all amethyst* crates by 0.1.* in each Cargo.toml file.
  9. Go into each subcrate except amethyst_core and run cargo publish . You have to start with the ones not depending on other amethyst crates, then work your way up the dependency tree.
    i.e, you need to publish amethyst_assets before amethyst_renderer, because amethyst_renderer now depends on an unreleased version of amethyst_assets.

Run cargo-publish-all --dry-run, check the result and run cargo-publish-all if everything looks good.
  10. Tag a new release on the Amethyst github, copy/paste the changelog entry for this release into the description for the Github release.
  11. Bump up the patch version of amethyst_tools in the tools repository and publish it with cargo publish . Also, do check the latest template.
  12. Publish the release post on the website.
  13. Advertise the release post.