First off all thank you for your interest in OrbTk .
The current state
OrbTk 0.3 will be a complete redesign of the code and visual design. It is inspired by functional-reactive frameworks like flutter and React. The base architecture and core components like the CSS-Engine, Render-, Layout- and Eventpipeline are relatively far advanced. But there is still some work to do like the completion of css properties and refactoring to cleanup code and to further improve performance. But it’s still far enough to create custom widgets and views.
Type of widgets OrbTk still provides:
- TextBlock: read only Text widget
- TextBox: Text input widget (WIP)
- Center: Layout widget that centers its child
- Container: Layout widget that draws a box and add padding to its child
- Column: Layout widget that orders its children vertical
- Row: Layout widget that orders its children horizontal
- ScrollViewer: Layout widget that add scrolling to its child (WIP)
- Documentation (state: in progress)
- Tests: (state: in progress)
- Widget template macro to simplify widget creation (state: in progress)
- Book (state: planned)
- Info website (state: in progress)
- More widgets like Menu, ToggleButton, CheckBox, ComboBox, Lists, … (state: planned)
- Vulkan / OpenGL backend: One point you maybe could help us
- Port all Redox applications to OrbTk 0.3 (state: planned)
- Code editor written with OrbTk (state: planned)
How to start with OrbTk
What OrbTk mainly depends on
OrbClient: Used for window drawing and event handling
DCES: ECS library created for OrbTk
I think a cooperation between Amethyst and OrbTk should be a benefit for both. Soon I will start with a Vulkan / OpenGL based backend for OrbTk. You can help us with your experience to implement it. This gives you the opportunity to define the feature set the backend should provide. On the over side we can help you to create missing features and widgets in OrbTk you need for your editor. We could also help you / give feedback by creation of the editors frontend architecture, building views and layouts. I’m working as (UX) Software Engineer at Ergosign and I’m a specialist for exactly these topics . And your feedback will help us to constantly improve OrbTk.
I could also check if one of our UX Designers would be happy to help you, if you want help on the design of your editor. Two of our UX Designers still working on a new default visual design for OrbTk / Redox OS. That could I check independent from a cooperation.
I know a bunch of features are missing, but we are working constantly on it. From my personal point of view we achieve rapid progress. My employer also spent me and an other developer each a day per month to work on OrbTk.
Sure there would be bugs if you start creating the editor with OrbTk. But we will working hard to eliminate these. Because we will port all Redox applications to the new OrbTk we will find and fix some bugs before.
Amethyst and OrbTk are both exciting Rust based projects. We think the possible cooperation of both projects very exciting. I hope you will give it a chance .