Moving to amethyst.rs

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #1

Thanks to @ebkalderon transferring ownership of the amethyst.rs domain to the Amethyst org, we can now resume using this domain for all of our public-facing assets.

Why is amethyst.rs superior to amethyst-engine.org?

• It has a much stronger SEO status thanks to many incoming links. (Just type “amethyst engine” into Google to confirm)
  • It’s short and memorable. Single-word domains like these are in very high demand.
  • While one could argue that we don’t want to be too closely tied to Rust by following the .rs convention (which is actually the top-level domain for Serbia and Kosovo), Rust developers will undoubtedly remain our primary audience for the next 2-3 years, so we might as well keep playing to that strength.

We will keep using amethyst-engine.org for any kind of infrastructure we’ve already got set up and perhaps all future infrastructure as well. However anything that is public and which is meant to attract the widest possible audience should live on the amethyst.rs domain. Right now, that means:

• :black_square_button: Website
  • :heavy_check_mark: Docs (already there)
  • :black_square_button: Forum (low priority, can wait)

As far as I can tell, it looks like we could move the live site on amethyst-engine.org to amethyst.rs with minimal redirects:

• /doc remains unchanged
  • /blog remains unchanged
  • /sponsors should redirect to /donate and its contents should also be merged into that page.
  • /get-started should redirect to /contribute.

There are other improvements for content & structure that I’d like to discuss, but before getting into that I’d really like to focus on going live with the new design.

(Lucio Franco) #2

I don’t think we have that many things that really depend on this domain. Might just make sense to move everything to just keep consistency. For example, CI would be good to have on amethyst.rs since users also need to check that if it fails their PR.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #3

I have no strong opinion either way, I just know @fletcher wasn’t too keen on moving certain infra things off their current domain.

(Fletcher) #4

Things like Okta and such were provisioned with amethyst-engine.org as their domain, and changing them will be difficult or impossible or cost money. The forums and website can easily be moved to amethyst.rs.

(Khionu Sybiern) #5

I see the division as simple: if you’re a user of Amethyst, you could be ignorant of amethyst-engine.org. Everything you’d need to follow, learn, and consume Amethyst would be on amethyst.rs.