Proposal for Showcase Team

(Khionu Sybiern) #1

Showcase Team

Preamble

As Amethyst has just gotten its 501(c)(3) status finalized, we need to move forward in getting the engine marketed. To prove Amethyst as the product we are intending to make, we need to create examples of Amethyst in action. For this purpose, a team dedicated to the development of compartmentalized examples as well as a full-scale game is required.

Charter

It shall be the objective of the Showcase team to create works that utilize Amethyst as to show its strengths and benefits. As the team exhibits the engine, it will work with the development teams to ensure Amethyst is polished. Ultimately, the team will create, grow, and maintain a minimum of one game, in addition to a full set of technological demonstrations.

Team Structure and Positions

• Team Leader: project manager and arbiter in design.
  • UX developers: devs responsible for the details that polish the details that players immediately interact with, such as object rendering, menus, controls, transitions, etc.
    • 3 people contributing 4-8 hours a week, at peek
  • Core developers: devs responsible for implementing the mechanics that define the showcase games and tech demos as simulations.
    • 4 people contributing 4-8 hours a week, at peek
  • Asset designers: artists responsible for creating the 3D and 2D assets for all tech demos and showcase games.
    • 2-4 people contributing 4-8 hours a week, at peek
      • At least two artists for 3D assets, maybe one dedicated to 2D assets

Initial Objectives / Roadmap

The team should start off with building tech demos for various components of the engine. These tech demos can then be used as flushed out examples as well as prefabs for the primary showcase game. This roadmap is written with the perspective that the engine will be going through large changes throughout 2019.

'19 Q1

The team should have tech demos done for at least half of the engine. Each completed demo should be presentable and interactable.

The primary showcase game should have its premise finalized and its features should be roughly outlined. The team should have an fairly reliable understanding of the time and resource investment the game will require.

During this period, the team will recruit artists for asset creation.

'19 Q2

All tech demos should be done and made current.

Work should be started on assets and game logic specifications. UI and other frequently used assets will take priority, then placeholder models.

'19 Q3

The frequently used assets should be complete, work should be started on placeholder models

The primary showcase game should be playable, though most likely not feature complete. It should be a “wirework” that will be recognizable in the final product.

'19 Q4

The game should be in a beta state. The community should be encouraged to try it out. If it’s hosted multiplayer, an instance should be hosted by Amethyst.

If it is yet viable for Amethyst to run on WebASM/WebGL, the tech demos should be ported to run from the website. Mobile tech demos should be made and distributed.

Future

Eventually, the Showcase Team should work on a long-term, growing game that will be using the latest stable versions of the engine. This game may or may not be used as a source of revenue, but should definitely be treated as a dedicated product of the foundation. Ideally, this would be done when the team is contributing full-time.

Showcase Product pre-planning
(Timon) #2

Good idea to my opinion. When I first saw the engine I was confused about it’s strengths and its popularity and such. By having a team dedicated to make sure amethyst is well marked and shown to the public will be a good idea.

I don’t think people for this team should directly be one of the already existing members. We could also just randomly ask on Reddit for people who worked with the engine but who did not directly contributed to it. I think this would be valuable because people with no inside view of the org can perfectly describe what is wrong and what should be changed.

(Khionu Sybiern) #3

They definitely don’t have to be current Org Members, we’ve had interest from a few people who aren’t members yet. That would exclude our LD43 contributors.

We will be having position posts for this. To be clear, this post is strictly about the creation of the team. We’re not populating it or seeking people immediately. This needs to get approved before that.

Ensuring proper documentation is not the scope of this team. That would fall under each dev team to do the initial API documentation, then the Documentation team to embellish and clarify it, as well as incorporate the changes to the rest of the documentation.

Also, the examples in the root of the Amethyst repo won’t fall under the scope of this team. Those will still be the shared scope of the Documentation team and whoever is responsible for the example’s technology. The Tech Demos will be more like “a separated piece of a game”, an “example++”.

Essentially, what the Showcase Team makes is more for demonstration and marketing, so people see the value of using and/or investing in Amethyst.

(Fletcher) #4

I strongly support this. Two questions:

1. How many people have expressed interest in helping so far?
  2. What non-people resources do you need?

(Khionu Sybiern) #5

4-7. 4 are definitely interested, a few more seem fairly interested. About half are already in the Org.

Access to setup some CI/CD and host build artifacts, initially. I was thinking we could use our File Server for assets that we’re not ready to include in the repo. Not sure if we’d need any other infrastructure until the second half of 2019, such as hosting for a potential server-side component, though that’s likely closer to the end of 2019.

It’s possible that we may not be able to get volunteers for assets. While I would want to try first, we may need to discuss commissioning, though that would be something for us to enact in Q2.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #6

Great idea! Though because of this:

…maybe instead of another team, “Make a showcase demo” could be a standard mandate for every tech team.

Good examples should be tightly integrated with the engine features they aim to exemplify, including being an integral part of the documentation. I fear doc-writing will be neglected if we split this work up too much.

The showcase task also gives gives existing teams an easy onboarding ramp for new contributors:

Newcomer: I wanna help with X but don’t know where to start.

X-Team: Easy! Just make a simple example for X and we will mentor you along the way.

(Khionu Sybiern) #7

The examples we have right now should be for developers who are looking to fiddle. These have a higher need to be kept up-to-date than the Tech Demos. Tech Demos are more about marketing, showing what Amethyst is already capable of. Things that people can just run quickly without having sat down to clone/import Amethyst.

So, in short, they’re respectively for:

• People who aren’t yet sold on Amethyst, as a developer or donor (Tech Demos)
    vs
  • People who are sold on Amethyst and need to better learn how to use it (Examples)

Additionally, the Showcase Team would also be responsible for a full game, as well. That’s something that needs proper organization. Note that this proposal includes a rough time commitment; we’re essentially forming a mini game studio.