Tech Demo pre-planning

(Khionu Sybiern) #1

As one of the two responsibilities of the Showcase Team, we need to create Tech Demos to show off Amethyst in a “short and sweet” fashion.

I think it should be possible that we get our current state exhibited in two demos, but here’s the umbrellas that I think we should be thinking in terms of:

• 3D Rendering
  • 2D Rendering
  • Physics
  • Sprites
  • UI
  • Parallelism
  • Networking

Remember, these demos are not example code. While we should maintain quality, they will be answering the question of “why Amethyst” not “how to Amethyst”. So, thoughts on how we can cover those seven aspects of Amethyst in two (maybe three) demos?

Showcase Product pre-planning
(Kel) #2

A nice idea for a 2d game showcasing the engine’s capabilities in 2D rendering, sprite performance, and parallelism might be a shoot em’ up in the style of Geometry Wars or TwinBee. Such a game could also use nphysics in 2d for gibs.

(Khionu Sybiern) #3

This is separate from making a game, this is more like putting together our various technologies into a way that shows that it could be a game. Something small, limited, but demonstrates what we can do, not something you’d invest time into, maybe give it 5 minutes of experiementing

(doomy) #4

Maybe we could do a simple PBR materials demonstration for 3D rendering? For example, we could have a bunch of pre-made shaders/materials and map them on different 3D objects. The user could rotate the object as well as change materials, (possibly) load custom object files, and change lighting positions (think of the viewer in Substance Designer).

This has the benefit of being very simple to create with the potential of looking very impressive when shared. Additionally, although this isn’t meant to be a coding example, it could provide as a useful resource for those looking for rendering help.

(Kel) #5

Well I wasn’t thinking necessarily a full-fledged game, I was thinking more just a tech demo like you said, where it’s just one state and score isn’t tracked.

(Sam Smith) #6

Hi, I was interested in helping out so I had a little look around for some examples and found this 2D tech demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS91zHiErE4.

It would be fairly easy to build and would demonstrate Sprites, 2D rendering (lighting not essential, but could be a good stretch goal) and 2D physics. You could have each click spawn a new ball and either just drop it or it could pick up the movement of the mouse to make it a little more interesting. If you wanted to add some UI elements you could add a slider to adjust how bouncy the balls are and a button to reset the scene.

(Khionu Sybiern) #7

That’s the level of complexity I want to achieve in our tech demos, yes. In fact, mimicking that wouldn’t be out of the question.